Another reader question today which has to do with one of my favorite topics: fashion!
Lindsey asks: One major question and issue I am facing is bathing suits – where do you go for them, especially ones that fit well and cover but don’t look dowdy! Summer always brings up this same dilemma!
- No matter how cute the suit, if it doesn’t support your “girls” properly, don’t get it. If you have a particularly large chest, look for wider straps and underwire support.
- Consider the activities you’ll be doing while in the suit. Some are really pretty in neat fabrics (like metallics) but they’re not all practical for spending in the water all day. If there is no chest support, you don’t want to play water volleyball at your all-inclusive honeymoon resort (as I learned).
- Don’t be afraid of color all over, and don’t be afraid of patterns on the top. Tread lightly if you go for a patterned bottom or one-piece that might do funny things to your stomach or butt.
- Want to feel more fancy in your suit? Remember to accessorize. Oversized sunglasses, straw hats, bangle bracelets, cute cover-ups. These improve even the most basic of black swimsuits.
- Places that have good plus size suits: Target, Old Navy (online only), Kiyonna, Monif C., Always for Me, Lands End, Swimsuitsforall.com, Macy’s (primarily online)
I had to get two swimsuits for my cruise late last year and searched for.ev.er. These are the ones I ended up with:
I haven’t announced this formally as it’s just something I put together over the weekend, but I’ve got a new blog about plus size fashion since a lot of people seem to ask me for advice (totally flattering because I often don’t feel like I’m dressing as nice as I could).